204 642 air travellers in Q4 2017

SHARE   |   Monday, 18 June 2018   |   By Ricardo Kanono
Air Botswana plane Air Botswana plane

Figures released by Statistics Botswana (SB) this week show that the number of air travellers during the last three months of 2017 decreased from the third quarter of the year.

In total, there were 204, 642 air passenger movements during the fourth quarter of 2017 with more than half of those, 59.2 percent of the passengers being international travellers with the remaining 40.8 percent domestic air travellers.

SEE ALSO:

The number is an 11.5 percent decrease from the third quarter with the number of international travellers declining by 9 percent while domestic movements declined by 15 percent.

When compared with the same quarter last year, the total passenger movements increased by 4.2 per cent. The increase was for both international and domestic air travellers, increasing by 4.2 per cent and 5.4 percent respectively.

SEE ALSO:

Despite having a high number of non–scheduled aircraft movements, a high number of passenger movements were scheduled, the report states.

SEE ALSO:

In Q4 2017, scheduled passenger movements contributed 77.2 per cent to total passenger movements. They were followed by non-scheduled movements with 21.8 percent and private movements contributed only 1.0 percent.

SEE ALSO:

All types of flight recorded a decrease in passenger movements compared to the previous; scheduled movements declined by 6.6 percent while non-scheduled and private movements decreased by 25.2 percent and 17.7 percent respectively.

SEE ALSO:

Compared to the same quarter of the previous year, Q4 2016, scheduled movements decreased by 4.8 percent while non-scheduled movements declined 4.4 percent and private movements went down by 2.9 percent.

SEE ALSO:

By airports, Sir Seretse Khama International (SSKIA) handled the highest number of air passengers, contributing 54.4 percent of total movements of Q4 2017.

SEE ALSO:

Out of these movements, 81.9 percent were international movements and the remaining 18.1 percent were domestic. The second busiest airport with 30.1 percent was Maun and the majority of the domestic movements (50.4 percent) were recorded there.

SEE ALSO:

Both Selibe-Phikwe and Ghanzi contributed 0.4 percent each to the total passenger movements. Compared to the previous quarter, all the airports but Selibe-Phikwe and Ghanzi recorded decreases in the number of passenger movements.

SEE ALSO:

The number of passenger movement at SSKIA declined by 1.4 percent. The majority of the passenger movements recorded at SSKIA were scheduled which accounted for 97.1 percent of the total movements at SSKIA.

SEE ALSO:

Maun Airport recorded the most of the non-scheduled passenger movements with 72.6 percent of the total non-scheduled movements. Selibe-Phikwe and Ghanzi recorded no scheduled movements and the majority of the passenger movements for both airports were private movements.    



Related news

Internal advert