President Ian Khama has unveiled an Economic Stimulus Package whose objective is to stimulate the economy for accelerated employment creation and economic diversification. The package targets tourism development, agricultural production, construction of buildings and roads as well as manufacturing. In this respect key elements of the package include:
• Fast track land servicing, with 37,000 plots to be catered for in the coming year.
• Construction of 4480 new housing units by the BHC
• Construction of an additional 1664 teachers quarters and 534 nurses quarters.
• Construction of 144 classrooms and 92 labs.
• Construction of new roads, as well as bypasses in Francistown, Molepolole and Lobatse.
• Upgrading of 92 health posts into clinics
Briefing the press following the Congress,the Minister of Defence, Justice and Security, Shaw Kgathi said that the programme will see the country drawing from the foreign reserves to stimulate the economy.