About 117 former Matsha Senior secondary school students who survived a horrific crash while transported in an open truck late last year started intensive rehabilitation programme at Molepolole College of Education this week. A source told The Patriot on Sunday early this week that the students were left unattended to and have been idling around the premises of the college with nothing to do. The source said the arrival of the students was poorly planned as some of the basic amenities were not in place forcing college staff to run around to save the situation. But Ministry of Education and Skills Development (MoESD) spokesperson, Silas Sehularo, denied the allegations.
He said the rehabilitation programme started this week and is expected to last for six months. He said the victims are undergoing extensive counselling, as well as being taught life skills through basic vocational training. "Those who would have passed when the results are released will be free to continue their studies wherever they wish. This is a joint project between MoESD, Kweneng District Council (KwDC), Ministry of Presidential Affairs and Public Administration (MOPAPA) and De Beers," he said. The widely publicised freak accident killed some students who were being transported back home to Kweneng West after completing their BGCSE examinations at Matsha.