Chinese Embassy in Botswana (10/Feb./2020)
According to the latest data this morning from the National Health Commission of the People’s Republic of China, between 00:00 and 24:00, February 10, 2,478 new confirmed cases (including 2,097 in Hubei province), 3,536 new cases of suspected infections (including 1,814 in Hubei province), 716 cured and discharged cases, 849 new serious cases (including 839 in Hubei province) and 108 deaths (103 in Hubei province) were newly reported in China's mainland.
As of 24:00 February 10, a total of 42,638 confirmed cases, 3996 cured and discharged cases, 1016 deaths have been reported in China's mainland. 70 confirmed infections had been reported in the Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions and Taiwan province: 42 in Hong Kong (1 death), 10 in Macao (1 had been cured and discharged from hospital) and 18 in Taiwan (1 had been cured and discharged from hospital).
1. On Monday, Chinese president Xi Jinping inspected the novel coronavirus pneumonia prevention and control work in Beijing. Xi points out that China can certainly score a full victory in the fight against the novel coronavirus pneumonia epidemic. The whole party, the armed forces and the people of all ethnic groups in China stand together with the people of Hubei and Wuhan. Hubei and Wuhan are the top priority for the epidemic prevention and control.
1. On Feb 9, Premier Li Keqiang called for all-out efforts to research and develop pharmaceuticals in tackling the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak, saying that effective drugs are the key to curbing NCP and improving the recovery rate of patients. In a visit to the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences' Institute of Pathogen Biology, Li said fighting the outbreak requires actions from the whole nation as well as support in science and technology.
1. According to the National Health Commission, new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus pneumonia outside Hubei Province in Chinese mainland have been dropping for six consecutive days. A total of 444 new confirmed cases were reported on Sunday outside Hubei. The numbers of new confirmed cases in these provinces during the past days were 890 on Monday, 731 on Tuesday, 707 on Wednesday, 696 on Thursday, 558 on Friday and 509 on Saturday.
1. China has stepped up efforts to curb the spread of novel coronavirus pneumonia. To fully support the Hubei Province, 16 municipalities and provinces around China are responsible for cities in Hubei, following a national "pairing-up support for Hubei" policy. Nearly 6,000 medical personnel from dozens of provinces and municipalities arrived in central China’s Wuhan on Sunday via 41 flights, marking the largest number of medics flying to the frontline in a single day since the coronavirus outbreak.
1. China has rolled out a mobile app "close contact detector," enabling people to check whether they were at the risk of catching the novel coronavirus. After its release on Feb 8, users are able to know whether they were in close contact with someone infected by registering with their name, phone number and ID. Those who have been in close contact are advised to stay at home and get in touch with local health authorities. The app was developed by the General Office of the State Council, the National Health Commission and China Electronics Technology Group Corporations (CETC).
1. China’s all-out efforts are continuing with increasing effects. Cured cases have far outstripped fatal ones and the increase in suspected cases has moderated. With the strength of our system which pools national resources, the firm conviction of the entire nation, the past experience in dealing with SARS, and the understanding and support from the international community, China has full confidence and capability to win the fight against the epidemic and jointly uphold regional and global public health security with the international community.
1. The 36th Ordinary Session of the AU Executive Council issued a communique in which the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of AU Member States, in the spirit of the strong strategic partnership existing between AU Member States and China and cognizant of the fraternal historical ties and cooperation between the two sides, expressed their solidarity with the Chinese government and people in the efforts to counter spread of the novel coronavirus, their confidence in China’s ability to deal with the challenges, and their call for coordination with the various national and international bodies to strengthen cooperation and to cope with its ramifications.
1. On February 9, a large amount of medical supplies including over 2 million masks sent by the Russian government arrived at Wuhan. The supplies have been delivered to the Chinese side. We also noted the editorial of China and Russia sharing weal and woe published in Rossiyskaya Gazeta. As it said, after the NCP outbreak, Russia has been lending its firm support to China. In a letter to President Xi, President Putin expressed sympathy and highly commended China for its epidemic control measures and their effects. Besides medical supplies, the Russian government also sent experts to work with their Chinese counterparts on epidemic response.