It is all systems go for Botswana Football Association’s (BFA) elective annual general assembly as the long awaited elections committee has been appointed. The five member committee, which is chaired by Moemedi Letina, was announced on Tuesday this week. This follows a long wait for the appointment which caused the postponement of the AGA last week. It looks like the committee has hit the ground running as in the same week it has already confirmed the names of the election nominees.
BFA chief Executive Officer Kitso Kemoeng revealed that the committee was assembled on the recommendations of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC). Kemoeng further explained that the committee’s introduction was delayed because it had to be cleared by FIFA before the individual members could be approached. The members of the committee are Moemedi Letina, Ntlogelang Modise, Thebeyame Tsimako, Neo Thebe and Alfred Mokone. This committee will be in charge of organising and supervising the BFA election process at the forthcoming AGA. However despite the appointment, in accordance with article 63.2 on the BFA constitution the committee is expected to be ratified by the general membership at the beginning of the assembly. Also assembled is the Appeal committee.
However, the only thing that might threaten the AGA is the league decider that failed over the weekend. As it stands the league has not yet been concluded and there are talks that the AGA cannot be held until the league has come to an end. Kemoeng nonetheless refuted this, saying “the AGA is about the whole affairs of football but not on game”. He confirmed that the assembly can go ahead even in the case that the matter has not been resolved by 13th August. Kemoeng, however, said the matter is handled at the moment. “This matter has been passed to the Botswana Premier League prosecutors for deliberation,” he said. It was envisaged that the game between Township Rollers and Mochudi Centre Chiefs would put the lengthy football saga to an end to determine premier league champions. Following the failed attempt, BPL prosecutors now will have to decide what the way forward will be.
BPL prosecutors have already written to Centre Chiefs, asking them to give reasons why they should not be charged for misconduct after last weekend’s outcomes. Furious Centre Chiefs officials have rather busted out to the development, saying they do not know what misconduct they did. Clifford Mogomotsi who confirmed receiving letter said they have since written back for more clarity. Chiefs had gone to Francistown with a total of seven players for their encounter with Rollers. The game was abandoned after another player was injured leaving Chiefs with only six players. According to FIFA rules and regulations, the game could not continue with six players on one side. Form this Mogomotsi said he sees no misconduct from their team. “We had informed BFA and BPL about our situation way before the encounter but they insisted that the game went on. Now what wrong have we done because the player got injured?” asked Mogomotsi.