Wesbank
WEF Horizontal

Rollers withdraw CAS case

SHARE   |   Monday, 19 September 2016   |   By Othusitse Tlhobogang
Rollers withdraw CAS case

 Township Rollers have withdrawn a case they registered with Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the declaration of Ofentse Nato as a defaulter. Rollers Secretary General Khumoyame Masonya confirmed this at the teams’ special general meeting on Saturday. Masonya said they received a receipt of successful withdrawal from CAS on Thursday last week. Masonya told the meeting that the decision was arrived at after BFA’s new leadership approached Rollers management requesting them to withdraw the case. “BFA new president came to us and said he wants to start football on a clean slate, hence he pleaded that we withdraw the case. We then told him we will think about it,” said Masonya. He said they made the painful decision to take it down.


“We wanted to go on with the case as it will go down as a teaching not only to Botswana but the rest of the world on how things are done. However, we then took a decision after that we should withdraw the case for football sake. It was evident that the case was going to take a long time to be heard and it was going to be more expensive for us,” clarified Masonya. However, Masonya pointed out that they have instructed BFA leadership to follow up the matter with FIFA and find out if indeed Ofentse Nato was a defaulter. The BFA had two weeks ago announced in a statement that the case has been withdrawn. However Rollers indicated that it has only been withdrawn last week as they were waiting on some issues to be addressed first.


“We wanted BFA to talk to engage Gilport Lions first on the matter because the case involved them as well. We did not want to find ourselves in a position where Gilport would demand the money they used to prepare for the case from us.  This is why we did not withdraw the case at that time,” explained Masonya.